Disability FAQs

Below are some questions and answers about disability accommodations and services at Brescia University and the needed documentation. Note: The Office of Disability Services will assist students with disabilities in contacting the necessary offices and forwarding appropriate documentation as needed.

What is the procedure for identifying yourself and your disability to receive accommodations?

  • Provide documentation of your disability
  • Meet with the Dean of Students or Director regarding non-academic accommodations
  • Meet with the Director of Coordinator of Disability Services regarding academic accommodations
  • Inform individual instructors of your classroom needs in collaboration with the Coordinator of Disability Services.

What documentation is required?

  • Official (medical or psychological) documentation that gives clear and specific evidence of a physical or learning disability
  • Testing must be comprehensive and should include:
    • Aptitude (WAIS-R, WAIS-III, Woodcock-Johnson Cognitive Ability-Revised, or Stanford Binet-4th Ed),
    • Achievement (Woodcock-Johnson Achievement, WIAT-3rd or 4th ed., TASK, SATA, or TOWL-3),
    • Information processing (Woodcock-Johnson Cognitive Ability, DTLA-A, WAIS-R subtests or WAIS-III subtests).

Further required documentation

  • Actual tests scores as well as a written diagnostic summary
  • Documentation/testing must be current within three years
  • Documentation must state that the disability currently substantially limits some major life function, including learning

Does Brescia work closely with other support agencies?

Brescia assists students in ordering books through Learning Ally and Access Text, and works with the Vocational Rehabilitation agencies.

What experience does Brescia have with serving students with various disabilities?

In the past several years, Brescia has served students who are wheelchair-bound, blind or visually impaired; who have learning disabilities, including dyslexia, ADHD, Autism, and dysgraphia; and who have post-traumatic syndrome, depression, or other such psychological disabilities.

What specific types of academic accommodations have been made for various types of disabilities?

The following academic accommodations have been provided by Brescia or related service agencies for students with disabilities in the past several years:

  • Extended test time and individual testing areas
  • Test readers and scribes
  • Note takers and/or tape recording of classes
  • Sighted guide
  • Tutoring

If you take less than a full load (12 hours), will this affect your financial aid?

Yes, if you are eligible for Pell and CAP or other state and federal grants, these monies will be reduced. You must be a full-time student in order to receive the Kentucky Tuition grant and individual Brescia scholarships.

Are there any types of financial aid/scholarships specifically available for disabled students?

Brescia University does not offer any scholarships/grants specifically for students with disabilities, but you should check with Vocational Rehabilitation in your area for the availability of college funds.

In accordance with Titles VI and IX, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, the Age Discriminations in Employment Act of 1967, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Brescia University will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, disability, marital status, veteran status, or status with regard to public assistance.

All academic buildings and The Moore Center meet the requirements for disability accessibility. Housing accommodations are also available. For more information regarding academic accommodations, please contact the Academic Dean. For more information regarding non-academic accommodations, please contact the Dean of Students.